M365 SharePoint Online – List Creation
As we discuss last article about SharePoint and Sites in SharePoint.
Today I am going to share about How to create list in SharePoint.
- A SharePoint list is like a table that will have columns or fields or properties. A list also can contain one or more attachements or files.
- SharePoint provides three basics kinds of list:
- Communication list: Are used to track announcements ,contacts and discussion boards.
- Tracking list: Are used to track information such as link , calendars ,tasks ,issues and surveys.
- Custom list provide a starting template that you can build to create a list with exact columns you need.
- Using a list in SharePoint is the most common way to manage information.
- In a list data is gathered in rows and each row is known as a list item.
In this article we will discuss about How to create list in SharePoint.
How to create Custom List:
- Navigate to Microsoft365 portal – https://www.office.com/?auth=2
- If you dont have Microsoft365 account, you could create it under the Microsoft365 developer program from Microsoft.- https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/dev-program
- Navigate to SharePoint from app launcher.
- We will be redirected SharePoint Online home page. – _layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx
- Navigate to site where we want to create list.
- Click on New
- Select List
- Click on Blank list
- We can export a list from excel by clicking on From Excel option we will discuss in next article.
- We can add a list From Existing list we will discuss in next article..
- Give the name of the list.
- Give description of the list. It is optional.
- And click on Create.
- We can see our created list in Navigation menu on home page of our site.
- Now we have to add column into list
- We can add column using 2 ways
- Using Site Column
- From Add Column option.
- Now if we want to add column through Add Column option then we have to click on Add Column and fill the required information.
- Such as name of the column , type of the column , we want to column required or not , category of the column , description of the column etc.
- After fill the all required information click on OK
- We can see our created column into List.
- We can also add verious column type such as number, date and time , choices from type category.
- We can create column using Site Column also.
- Site Column is a reusable column definition that you can assign to multiple list across multiple SharePoint sites.
- To create column using site column click on –
- Settings – Site information – view all site settings – site columns – Create.
- Click on Site Column fill the required information about cloumn and click on OK.
- We can see our created column into list.
- If we want to add item into list then we have to click on New.
- Fill the all required information about the item like item name , Address , Age and click on save.
- After fill the required information and click on save button we can see our inserted item into list home page.
Hope you understand How to create list , How to create column into list and insert item into list.
Thanks for reading.
Have a nice day 🙂