Power Platform : Power Automate – Create a Team and add Members, Owners to Team using Power Automate.
“You get what you focus on, so focus on what you want.”
Hope you all are doing well.
Today in this article I am going to discuss about how to create a team and adding members, owners to the team using Power Automate.
Please refer my previous article “Check for duplicate Teams before creating a new Team using Power Automate”.
Also we have good number of articles on Power Platform & Microsoft Teams, please have a look.
So without getting late, lets get started.
In one of our project requirement is create a team in Teams and add members and owners to the created team using Power Automate. For testing purpose we prepared a Power Automate Instant flow with manual trigger. The flow create a team and add the members and owners in Teams and also send mail to user.
Power Automate is a service that helps us create automated workflows between our favorite apps and services to synchronize files, get notifications, collect data, and more.
- Automate business processes
- Send automatic reminders for past due tasks
- Move business data between systems on a schedule
- Connect to more than 500 data sources or any publicly available API
- We can even automate tasks on our local computer like computing data in Excel.
Instant Flows allow us to start a flow with a click of a button, and can be used across desktop or mobile devices. They are commonly used to automate a wide range of tasks such as requesting an approval in Teams or SharePoint or sending a reminder to the team with a push of a button from mobile.
Microsoft Teams is the ultimate messaging app for our organizations—a workspace for real-time collaboration and communication, meetings, file and app sharing, and even the occasional emoji! All in one place, all in the open, all accessible to everyone.
Team in Microsoft Teams:
In Microsoft Teams, teams are groups of people brought together for work, projects, or common interests. Teams are made up of two types of channels — standard (available and visible to everyone) and private (focused, private conversations with a specific audience).
Create a Flow
High Level Steps:
Create instant flow in Power Automate.
Create a team.
Add a member to team.
Add a owner to team.
Send email to user/requester.
- Go to office.com, and sign in to our M365 account – https://www.office.com/?auth=2
- Launch Power Automate from Office365 app launcher.
- In Power Automate Click on Create and select Instant Cloud flow.
- Give the Flow name and Choose Trigger and then click on Create.
- Our flow opened with manually trigger action. Click on New step to add next action.
- Choose an operation Microsoft Teams and action Create a team.
- Give the Team details: Name, Description of the team.
- Click on show advanced options and select Visibility. And click on Next step.
- Choose an operation Microsoft Teams and action Add a member to a team.
- Give the Team details: Team Name and AAD ID of User.
- Here if we are adding member to existing Team, then we can select the Team.
- Otherwise enter custom value.
- Take the Team ID from our above action Create a team from dynamic content.
- Here give email address of user in AAD ID.
- Again add an action Add a member to team.
- Give the Team ID, AAD ID of owner and click on show advanced options.
- Here we can make the given AAD ID as owner.
- Now select the option Should the newly added user be an owner of the team as Yes.
- Click on (…) of action and rename it.
- Choose an operation Office 365 Outlook and action Send an email (V2).
- Give the mail details: To address (take it from dynamic content / give manually), Subject and Body of the mail as shown below.
- Now Save the flow and click on Test.
- Select Test the Flow Manually and click on Test.
- Click on Continue to use the apps.
- Review/add the connections and actions and click on Run flow.
- Now the flow run started and click on Done.
- Here we can see the flow ran successfully on every action.
- Now the flow Terminates here.
- We got a mail regarding Team creation.
- In our Teams we can see the Team created.
- Click on (…) of Team and select Manage team.
- Here we can see the owners and members whom we added.
- In owners the requester/user is the owner by default.
- We can remove the user from owners once the respective owner of team added.
Hope this article will help us to create a team and add members, owners to the team using Power Automate.
Also get my article updates on my social media handles.
Twitter – https://twitter.com/KhasimShaik2009
Thank you for your support, will catch up with new article soon.
Keep learning and keep smiling.
Have a great day.