07 November – remembering first Asian Nobel Prize winner in Science, Bharat Ratna – greatest Indian physicist – Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman (Sir C. V. Raman)
“It was poverty and the poor laboratories that gave me the determination to do the very best I could.”Sir C. V. Raman
Greetings for the day! LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL 🙂
Today we are celebrating birthday of one of our greatest Indian physicist – Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman (Sir C. V. Raman). Here highlighting only few points to remember
About Sir C. V. Raman:
- C. V. Raman was born in Trichinopoly, Madras Presidency (now Trichy, Tamil Nadu)
- In 1904, he obtained a B.A. degree from the University of Madras, where he stood first and won the gold medal in physics.
- At age 18, while still a graduate student, he published his first scientific paper on diffraction of light in the British journal Philosophical Magazine in 1906.
- In 1947, Sir Raman became Independent India’s first National Professor and founded the Raman Research Institute in 1948.
“You can’t always choose who comes into your life but you can learn what lesson they teach”Sir C. V. Raman
- Shri C. V. Raman won the Nobel Prize in 1930 for Physics
- Shri C. V. Raman was the first Asian to won the Nobel Prize in any branch of Science
- This is the first Nobel Prize in India in the field of Science.
Celebration of National Science Day
- In 1986, “National Council for Science and Technology Communication” requested Government of India to celebrate Feb 28 as National Science Day. Government of India accepted this request and on 28 Feb 1987 first National Science Day is celebrated.
- For this phenomenal discovery every year we celebrate the National Science Day on 28th Feb
- Shri C. V. Raman founded the Indian Journal of Physics in 1926
- In 1954, the Government of India honored him with the first Bharat Ratna highest civilian award
- In 1928 Raman and his student Krishnan discovered a novel phenomenon of light scattering, which they called “modified scattering” and also called “Raman Effect”
Thanks for reading 🙂 Enjoy the beautiful life:) Have a FUN 🙂