Cyber Security – Personal checklist to be followed
Greetings for the day!!!
Continue exploring Cyber Security.
Few statistics sharing here
- Microsoft recently announced that – company observers 1,287 password attacks PER SECOND. The most ever
- In one news I read, 5 billions SMS phishing attempts are made annually – this is resulted in an estimated loss of around 15,000 crore !
- One of news on 4th May – Every 7 minutes a cybercrime is reported in Australia. In 2021 – 2022 financial year alone, 76000 cybercrimes were reported in Australia. 13% increase in a year in 2023
- Nowadays use / sharing of digital information is very heavily used
- Calling scams – One example is – frequently getting calls to complete KYCs – so data can be stolen
The above list is never ending, there were n no of incidents happening, it is very important to be a SECURE, SAFE
So today discussing few important points which we must follow in our day to day life to be SAFE, SECURE.
Taking care while using Social apps – FaceBook, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and so on
- Are two factor authentication enabled for FaceBook.
- We have detailed article on – how to enable two-factor authentication for Facebook – Facebook – How to enable two-factor authentication
- Is your Facebook profile locked?
- Two factor pin / password set for WhatsApp if we are using
- Make sure every time we are done with our work, we logged out from the respective applications
- Are our passwords strong enough for important apps like Gpay, making sure we are following strong password guidelines
- Our password is long enough so that for hackers permutation / combination wont work
- Making sure its not so easy like based on our names / surname / birthdate – those passwords are commonly identified
- Make sure different apps have different passwords
- Are permissions are set differently for different app in our mobile
- Making sure unnecessary apps are not installed in our regular mobile from where we are performing important operations Are your mobile password protected / pin protected / fingerprint / biometrics / face recognition
- Making sure, to make easy we don’t have same pattern of password
- Are we changing all our passwords in month or two
- Making sure we are not saving the passwords, when browser notifies us
- Making sure, to remember passwords we are not writing those at common places
- Making sure, kids/family members don’t know our passwords
- Are we making sure we are not sharing OTP (One-Time password with anybody including family members) with anybody
- Are you deleting OTP messages immediately as you received and used
- For bank messages try to use normal phone (not smart phone) – so that there won’t be apps and those can not be read your messages in phone
- Make sure you are keeping Internet off when you are not using
- Not giving our any document details on phone to anybody. One example is call to complete / update KYCs. Make sure you go to respective institute (bank / LIC office) and complete / update there in person
- Keep ourselves up-to-date with latest cybersecurity trends
- Making sure our devices OS, applications are updated on timely basis, latest security patches are in place
- Keep your software and systems uptodate
- Download software’s only from trusted web sites
- Keep the security settings of computer and browser at least either medium or high
- Clear browser history / cookies on timely basis
Be SAFE !!! Be SECURE !!!
You must log in to post a comment.